Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 10.19.20 PM

“In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.” – Martin Luther King Jr.

I know, I know, I’m a little late on celebrating Martin Luther King Jr., but i’s the though that counts, right?

Last week, I came across this quote and it really struck me. It made me think about all of the “challenges” I’ve had in my short 23 years of life and how this simple phrase could not stand more true.

I’m one for standing up for what I believe in and I certainty wear my heart on my sleeve, so I’ve definitely come across my fair share of disappointments. If you’ve ever seen me in any sort of leadership position, you’ve likely heard me say “justice will be served” or something like “not on my watch” but this mentality has been hurtful more often than not. Not hurtful because I didn’t get my desired result but because I didn’t have my anticipated support.

It’s so funny how you can have a army of support behind closed doors but when it comes to conflict, people hide and pretend they have no idea what you are talking about. I’ve run into this problem in every stage of my life; dealing with a break-up in a small town (cue Sam Hunt song), staying true to my morals as a sorority sister, roommate troubles, plain old girl shit…thankfully nothing at work because #professionalism.

Don’t get me wrong, there are definitely good guys out there. Those are the ones who stand up on your behalf, the ones who talk you off the cliff before you are in too deep, and the ones that at least apologize.

It is so easy to think that it is you in these situations and trust me, I’ve spent way too many hours blaming myself and rethinking all of the different ways I could have said something. Coming across this quote, was comforting for me. It assured me that if Martin Luther King Jr., the single most inspirational and morally sane person there ever was, had these problems then I’m not doing anything wrong at all. I’m staying true to myself and standing up for what I think is right, if Martin Luther King Jr. never did this, where would we be?

18 Comments on Finding Comfort In Inspiration

1. Grady
    January 28, 2016 at 11:17 am (2 years ago)

YES! I love this quote – and it’s so incredibly true! Sometimes the silence of our friends cuts the deepest and has the most negative affect!

2. Jessica
    January 28, 2016 at 12:18 pm (2 years ago)

I’ve never heard that quote. It makes you think, huh?

3. Roxy
    January 28, 2016 at 12:49 pm (2 years ago)

Not to go totally polotical and drum up controversy, but this is exactly how I’ve felt since the Black Lives Matter movement began. Behind closed doors my friends of all races are upset and see that this group is all to frequently being mistreated by law officials sworn to protect them, but my Caucasians friends are totally mute when it comes to public support. It’s really disheartening that people I basically consider family will not come out and let it be known they too see the injustice.

4. michelle
    January 28, 2016 at 2:19 pm (2 years ago)

that is a great mlk jr quote. i often find my self willing to stand up for my beliefs when no one else will

5. Juleskalpauli (@juleskalpauli)
    January 28, 2016 at 3:36 pm (2 years ago)

You are absolutely worthy and Are on the right track at 23 writing posts that are this inspirational. I am touched beyond measure. keep inspiring The preppy GenerationX and we Millennials :)

6. Clare Speer
    January 28, 2016 at 5:19 pm (2 years ago)

I love this quote…. and you are my youngest daughter’s age! You sound like you are willing to stand up for your beliefs and make a stand… that’s a wonderful quality! Blessings on your wonderful life ahead!

7. diadarling3
    January 28, 2016 at 9:17 pm (2 years ago)

So I’m super emotional and then I read this and it was a bad idea because I’m straight on crying. It made me think of my life and experiences and the people who stand beside me (sorority sisters included). Great post!

8. Leslie Rossi
    January 28, 2016 at 9:41 pm (2 years ago)

i think we are entering a different era where more and more people will start to express themselves again. can’t wait to see change

9. jennyblaisdell
    January 28, 2016 at 10:55 pm (2 years ago)

Great post!
    It really resonated with me.

xoxo, Jenny

10. Valerie Robinson
    January 29, 2016 at 8:09 am (2 years ago)

Love this quote and have been thinking about it a lot. It really makes you think!

11. Elizabeth O
    January 29, 2016 at 11:18 am (2 years ago)

Nothing is more painful than when those we thought had our back, remain silent when we are faced with challenges. Experience has taught me that it is your darkest hour that you know who your true friends are; I’ve learned a lot over the years. Stay true to who you are and what you stand for, and you will grow stronger in spite of the disappointments that come with life. :)

12. NYG@NaughtyYogaGirl.com
    January 29, 2016 at 1:15 pm (2 years ago)

Great read … and I looove this quote (I’m kind of a quote hoarder … I’ve got a whole notebook full of them – and even made a book of some of my favorites!). :) Thanks for sharing!

13. thebarbella
    January 29, 2016 at 1:38 pm (2 years ago)

Great quote that really puts it all into perspective. Thanks for sharing, good reminder before the weekend!

14. 99paperairplanes
    January 29, 2016 at 7:59 pm (2 years ago)

Great quote, definitely something to think about.

15. Mimi Rose
    January 29, 2016 at 10:38 pm (2 years ago)

Great post! I love how great quotes can spark a certain inspiration in people and help change perspectives in the process. It’s why I love those kinds of quotes so much. :)

16. Whitney
    January 30, 2016 at 9:44 pm (2 years ago)

This could not be more true. Always stay true to yourself! :)

17. Rebecca
    February 15, 2016 at 8:58 am (2 years ago)

This is a quote new to me but definitely makes you think.