Congratulations! You all have made it midway through our semester, or what I would like to call the semester slump. We’re tired, we’re overworked, and we’re definitely ready for a break. It’s starting to get cold outside, and we want nothing more than to curl up in our jammies and binge watch Netflix all day and night. It’s nearly impossible to get out of bed each morning, but believe it or not, there are in fact numerous ways we ourselves can become a morning person.
By becoming a morning person, we will give ourselves a huge advantage. Do you know all that can be accomplished before the hour of 12:00 pm? It’s shocking. Here we are ages 18-22 still struggling to make it through the day if we can’t sleep until noon, or at least have about an hour of lazy time in the morning in order to wake ourselves up. Now I am certainly not pointing any fingers, because I am a huge culprit of this myself. I mean, if I don’t factor in at least one nap a day, chances are you will find me in a state of stress, anger, hanger (hunger and anger, run the opposite way if this is the case), basically to sum it up for you—not a person you want to be around.
This is my attempt on five steps to become a morning person and to pull yourself out of the semester slump. Of course, the first one on my list should say to get up at 5:30 AM and run five miles then somehow function all day long, but lets be realistic here…
- Do not hit your snooze button. When you hit your snooze button in the morning, it is a huge fake out to your body. You think you’re going back to sleep and then BAM, you’re now ten minutes late and ten times as tired.
2. Eat breakfast. Breakfast. What an underrated meal. Get up and EAT! This will get your metabolism moving and get you ready for your day. This should be your biggest meal of the day and you have all day to walk it off on our beautiful-but full of hills-campus, so fill up!
3. Develop a routine. It’s so simple. Develop your morning routine and it will soon become a new habit. All it takes is twenty-one short days for a pattern to become a habit!
4. Don’t rely on coffee to “wake up.” Try and go without it as long as you can! Although coffee makes most of us better people, you don’t want to become the person who is just short of a zombie without it.
5. Look good, feel good! Put on a cute outfit, maybe even a little make up and get out there! Whatever it takes to make you feel good. When you look good, you feel good, and you are now ready to conquer whatever is coming your way.