writersblockI sit, back schlumped in defeat. One hand is drumming an endless rhythm into my desk, long fingers tapping nails in a repetitive motion. The other hand, cradling my throbbing head as I struggle to find an original and captivating thought. Hozier plays softly, melting into the background as I struggle to block everything out and just focus. As the frustration grows inside, something bubbles up, fighting to be released. I emit a loud groan and fall against the back of my desk chair, one hand slamming into the wooden desk, the other losing it’s time and falling silent.

I’ll be the first to admit it, I truly hate writer’s block. Not being able to gather my thoughts, or even produce any at all – it’s like a slow torture.

I’m writing another chapter for my book, entitled “Selfish Help” (to be released for pre-order January 1st!). Well, okay that’s a lie. I’m struggling to write another chapter for my book. It’s awful, when  you finally have an idea – and want to run with it. Oh it’s a wonderful idea too, something interesting that will take on a truly phenomenal tone.

Then, something happens. You forget, or lose momentum. The idea becomes a bit fuzzed up, and you can’t really remember all of the exact details. Or, self doubt kicks in – and suddenly it’s not such a good idea.

Alternatively, you need to write – and can’t come up with a single idea.

This is in short, the worst. To be frank, it sucks.

Of course, there are a few ways to work around this. I’m going to tell you about some of my tips on beating nasty old writer’s block. Then, I asked a few of my favorite bloggers for their favorite things to do when writer’s block strikes.

Let’s get to it!

BEAT THE BULLY: WRITER’S BLOCK

Disconnect. Walk away from the laptop, and the notepad. Take some time to relax and unwind, and clear your mind.
Listen to some music. I love finding inspiration in music from artist’s like Vance Joy, Hozier, and Sia. Find an artist that has music that matches your vibe, and run with it.
Take a nap. I find that the best thing for me, is to sometimes just take a nap. Let my brain really rest, and when I wake up I feel better and more motivated to continue working.
Walk. I don’t mean go on some big hike (unless that works for you!). Get up from your workspace, and pace. Walk back and forth a bit to get the blood flowing, the motion can release stress as well as spark creativity.
Talk to, well – yourself. This is an age-old occurrence, “oh they’re talking to… there’s no one around. Who are they, oh. Oh! Ah okay, they’re obviously insane”.  Not the case, my friends! It’s completely normal to vocalize your thoughts, or even just check in with yourself. Talking to yourself can boost memory function, help you get rid of anxiety issues, and assist in coming to a decision. So, start up a conversation with yourself. It can feel a bit strange at first, but can definitely be very beneficial.

Alright, now to the blogger tips! AlwaysS

Savannah, The Always Blog

JennyB

Jenny, Breakfast at Lilly’s

Brittany

Brittany, Southern Soul

Ashley

Ashley, Ashley Brooke Nicholas

Hope this helps everyone gain the power to put writer’s block back in it’s place!

Here’s to ridding of writer’s block, and gaining renewed inspiration from writing this piece.

20 Comments on ThePreppyU: How To Cope With Writer’s Block

1. Jenny
    October 22, 2015 at 10:24 am (2 years ago)

Aw Stephanie, thanks for adding me in this!
    What a great post.
    I tend to get the hit with the most inspiration to write when I am nowhere near my computer.

xoxo, Jenny

2. Michelle Thomas
    October 22, 2015 at 2:30 pm (2 years ago)

These are great tips! I find inspiration in magazines sometimes, especially for crafts and DIY ideas!

3. logancan
    October 22, 2015 at 3:17 pm (2 years ago)

Definitely taking a nap or going for a run really helps me clear my head and refocus. These are great tips!

4. Jaclyn
    October 22, 2015 at 4:50 pm (2 years ago)

I love your tips. I think it’s great to realize that writer’s block may be a way of our brains asking for a break!

5. Nikka Shae
    October 22, 2015 at 8:31 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks for the tips sometimes I need a quick getaway to refresh my mind!! Also watching movies too!!!

6. laura londergan
    October 22, 2015 at 11:49 pm (2 years ago)

this happens to me quite often but I have learned to recognize it & I actually do most of these tips – walk away, nap . . .it all works!

7. Mar
    October 23, 2015 at 12:24 am (2 years ago)

I hate writes block! But it’s good to know that there are lots of ways to get around it! Sometimes I just force myself to write untill something good pops out lol

8. Ourfamilyworld
    October 23, 2015 at 10:37 am (2 years ago)

These are great tips. Disconnecting always works for me. I would go offline for days and when I come back, I am so full of new ideas.

9. Beth@FrugalFroggie
    October 23, 2015 at 10:41 am (2 years ago)

I have this one post that I need to complete and I have writer’s block. I can’t get the mojo together to get it done and get it done well.

10. Kelly | Typically Simple
    October 23, 2015 at 3:09 pm (2 years ago)

Writer’s block is the worst! And lately mine has been just a general creative block…taking a break has definitely been helpful to get the juices flowing again.

11. JanetGoingCrazy
    October 23, 2015 at 3:52 pm (2 years ago)

Great tips! I get writer’s block way too often and it really stresses me out. Even when I do have ideas, I shoot them down on my own because I don’t think people want to read it.

12. armywifemommylife
    October 23, 2015 at 6:06 pm (2 years ago)

Awesome tips! I’m on a roll right now, but I can guarantee that I’ll hit a lull at some point. It alwys happens!

13. CourtneyLynne
    October 23, 2015 at 8:25 pm (2 years ago)

Ughhh writers block can be such a pain to deal with! I swear one week a month this happens to me! I will struggle for afew days before I get my mojo back!

14. Nicole Torres (@DesignItVintage)
    October 23, 2015 at 10:00 pm (2 years ago)

Glad to know the many ways around it, I love to write/blog and most times I have so much to say, it drives me nuts.

15. angie
    October 23, 2015 at 10:17 pm (2 years ago)

I agree take a break and clear your mind, sometimes writers block is that simple you just need to take your mind of what you are doing.
    come see us at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

16. Debra
    October 24, 2015 at 5:30 pm (2 years ago)

Writer’s block is the worst! These are great tips!

17. Yona Williams
    October 25, 2015 at 9:22 pm (2 years ago)

For me, taking a nap really helps with writer’s block. Sometimes, writer’s block gets so bad, it literally drains all my energy and makes me need to sleep it off.

18. Hello, I'm Shelly
    October 27, 2015 at 9:09 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you for the tips! I’ve been having serious writers block lately. I have a million things to try and write about, but can never get the words out or find the time.

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on ThePreppyU: How To Cope With Writer’s Block