From stress-eating to late night food runs, college is a time where it’s easy to be unhealthy. I’m sure we’ve all been in the situation where you find yourself running out of breath while walking up a flight of stairs and then you have to actually control your breathing once you walk into class. Embarrassing right? Or is that just me? Anyways, it takes a while to get into the habit of being healthy. But once you do, you’ll end up feeling a whole lot better! So how do you stay healthy in college? Read the following tips to find out!
1. Gym or Intramurals -Almost every college has a gym that everyone has access to use so why not take advantage of it? It’s coming out of your tuition money anyways! Or if you’re into sports then try intramurals!
2. Avoid the vending machine – I used to always skip breakfast and find myself at the vending machines around mid-day. I found that the only way to stop is if I bring snacks of my own! Not only is it healthier but far cheaper than paying $1.25 for a bag of chips with half of it being air.
3. Find Healthy Restaurants – If you’re like me and love to go out to eat with your friends then why not find some healthy restaurants for you guys to try?
4. Take the stairs – Every little bit of exercise counts and that includes taking the stairs instead of waiting for the elevator.
5. Eat Breakfast – I know, this one’s annoying but it makes a huge difference! I personally don’t feel hungry right when I get up and usually don’t have the time to make breakfast so I prepare a parfait (Greek yogurt, strawberries, and oats is my go-to) the night before and put it in the fridge. It’s light, easy to make, and fills you up right away!
6. Get Enough Sleep – Another annoying one that may be impossible for some of you who like to pull all-nighters but try to limit yourself!
7. Walk It Out – I know some people who drive to each building for their classes instead of actually walking there. I always thought this was pointless since college campuses are designed for students to walk easily from class to class. If it’s a nice day, then just take the longer route and walk!
8. Don’t Fake-Bake – Yes, you’re skin counts when it comes to being healthy! Avoid the tanning machine and put on some sunscreen if you want your skin to look good for years to come. If you really can’t go without a tan then there’s tons of affordable self-tanner options that can mimic the same effect.
9. Making Eating Healthy Easy – One of the reasons why people fail at eating better is because they’re lazy and getting fast food will be much easier than preparing a meal. Why not prepare all your meals and store them in the fridge beforehand? If you can’t do this with meals then do it with your snacks!
10. Relax – The most important part about being healthy is learning how to relax. College kids go through stress on a daily basis and think it’s normal. A little bit of stress is but a whole lot? Totally not worth it so make sure you have at least one day out of the week where you dedicate some time to relaxing.
Hope you enjoyed this post!